Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mangalore Cucumber Sambar (mangalore southe kodhel)




HAPPY 2010 to all my blogger friends. Its been a while since I posted anything here. Thanks girls for checking on me. All is well at my end, was busy attending all the get together that my lovely friends had hosted :)













INGREDIENTS:


Mangalore cucumber 1 washed and cubed
Black eyed peas 1 cup
Toor dal 1 cup
Jaggery 2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste



To Grind:


Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Chana dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Red chilies 4
Methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Tamarind paste 2 tsp
Coconut grated 1 cup


To Season:


Mustard 1 tsp
Hing 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Oil 2 tsp







METHOD:

1) Wash and soak black eyed peas with 3 cup of water overnight. Cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle and set aside.


2) Pressure cook toor dal for 3 whistles and set aside.

3) In the meantime, heat a pan and dry roast coriander seeds, Jeera, Urad dal, Chana dal, Methi seeds and red chilies.

4) Once the mixture is cool, grind it to smooth paste along with tamarind and coconut.

5) Heat a pan and cook cubed cucumber with turmeric and 1 cup of water until its tender, would take around 8 mins.

6) Once the cucumber is cooked, add toor dal and cooked black eyed peas, jaggery and salt.

7) Let this mixture come to a boil, around 5 mins. Then add the grinded coconut mixture and 1 cup of water mix well.

8) Cook on medium low heat for another 10 mins.

9) In separate pan heat 2 tsp oil, add mustard, when it stars to splutter add hing and curry leaves.




13 comments:

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Pavithra... Happy new year and glad to see you again. I love manglure southekai.. Huli super agirutte alva. Black eyed peas hakodu hosa idea ri..

Unknown said...

looks nice and delicious..

Finla said...

Happy Newyear too.
I never knew about mangalore cucumber. Curry looks delcious.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow..that's an yum combo...

FH said...

YUM! Love Mangauru southe, haven't eaten in many yrs. Sambhar look so good.

Ash said...

Hey,

U would not believe how happy am I to see a Kannadiga Blogger.... I simply love the mangalooru sauthe... Since I don't know exactly how they prepare, I use it to make a simple dal mixed sambhar kinda prep.... Because, oorinalli Dodamma kaayi haaki, maadthaare, aadare my hubby is not that into coconut used preps...

But I must admit... I simple loved everything.... & How can I not join this blog???? I will...surely will....

C ya soon...

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

FH said...

Hi P, just checked your comment at FH. I think most of us make the mistake of adding less or more water when we are cooking Rava idlis. Just adjust to pouring consistency little thicker than idli batter and rest the mix for 15mins before you steam. Hope you try.

Sunitha said...

Quite a creative blog you have here..Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe

Padhu Sankar said...

Sounds interesting .
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

ವನಿತಾ / Vanitha said...

Hii Pavitra..Are u from M'lore??..
Luv M'lore Southe..I dont get it in my place:(..even I add black eyed peas to sambars with most of the veggies..Its M'lore style..Ain't it??..nice to see one more blogger from hometown:)

Anonymous said...

I experimented with mangalore cucumber today as i generally never eat that at home. I followed ur recipe full on except for adding the black eyes beans, since i had not soaked them the previous nite... but inspite ofthat the sambaar was very delicious!!!!! i ate it with idlis as well as rice.. and i loved the flavours... anyone wanting to try this recipe... go for it!!
Thank you keep the recipes rolling

Anonymous said...

I am Austin, I tried this recipe with beans instead of black eyed peas. The masala was awesome. The curry was very tasty .. My in-laws just relished on the same. Yummmyy!!! Try this out!

Pavithra Kodical said...

Thank you all for your kind words and also for trying the recipe.