Collard Greens 15 leaves (In Mangalore we use Colacasia leaves)
Rice 2 cups
Urad dal 1/4 th cup
Toor dal 1/4 th cup
Coconut 1/2 cup
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Red chilies 5 or more according to how spicy you need
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Tamarind 1 lemon size
Jaggery 1 tblsp
Oil 1 tsp
- Soak rice and toor dal in water for 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil and fry urad dal until you get a nice aroma.
- Grind rice, toor dal and urad dal with coconut and other ingredients except leaves by adding little water. This paste has to be thick, almost like idly batter.
- Remove the veins of the leaves.
- Apply a layer of masala on a leaf (keep the leaf upside down).Keep another leaf on the first leaf apply another layer of masala. Repeat this for another 3 leaves.
- Roll them and apply another coat of masala on top.
- Steam them for around 45 mins on medium heat.
- When it is cool cut them with a knife to thin rolls and serve with coconut oil.
1)You can eat this with just pickle and coconut oil on top.
2)You can slice them and shallow fry them in oil until is it golden brown on both sides.