Kidney beans (Rajma) 1cup
Turnip greens finely chopped 1 cup
Tomato 2 large (I used tomato paste)
Ginger 1" chopped
Garlic 4 clove chopped
Turmeric a pinch
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Chilly powder 2 tsp
Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
Amchur (Mango) powder 1/2 tsp
Fresh cream 1 tblsp (Optional)
Oil 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
1) Soak Kidney beans in 3 cups of water overnight.
2) Pressure cook kidney beans with 3 cup of water for 3 whistles(I also add a stick of cinnamon and bay leaf to get a nice aroma)
3) Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, when it splutters add ginger, garlic and sauté for 2 mins.
4) To this add onion and fry till golden brown.
5) Add turnip greens and cook for 5 mins.
6) Add tomato paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilly powder and continue to cook until the raw smell of tomato is gone.
7) Then add cooked beans, Garam masala, amchur powder, salt and cook for 7-8 mins on low heat.
8) Turn off the heat and add fresh cream if using and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti.
This is my entry for Suganya's My Legume Affair Sixth Helping -Hot & Spicy event.