Friday, January 16, 2009

Jackfruit Appa






INGREDIENTS:


Jackfruit(Without seeds) 1 cup
Rice 1 cup
Grated coconut 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds 1 tsp (Optional)
Cardamom powder 1tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying



METHOD:


1) Wash and Soak rice for 3 hours.

2) Drain the water from rice and grind with coconut,jaggery and jackfruit(Do not add water).

3) Add salt, sesame and cardamom powder to the batter.This batter has to be thick(Okay if it is coarse).

4) Heat oil in a deep pan.Make small balls of the dough and drop in hot oil.

5) Deep fry in oil till brown in colour and drain.

6) You can eat just like that. I served with honey to make it more sweet.


I am sending this to RCI - UDUPI & MANGALORE hosted by Sia an event started by Lakshmi.


15 comments:

SMN said...

hey you already managed to get one riped jackfruit. i just had tender ones. This is very specail though i prefer the banana one. we call it mulka

Vibaas said...

my friend's mom used to make this. looks so yummy.

Priya Suresh said...

crispy appa looks delicious Pavithra...

FH said...

Yummy, looks delicious! I made Jackfruit dose last year, but from the canned ripe Jackfruits! :))

Gita Jaishankar said...

I love these appams, my friend used to bring these kind of appams when we were in college, thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe :)

LifenSpice said...

Jackfruit appa, i just love them. love to gulp all of them:) Jackfruit elli sigthu???

Sharmila said...

This is new. My mom used to make something like this with ripe palm juice. Must try. :-)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. Never heard of them.

Unknown said...

wow that recipe looks so perfect and yummy nice color

Bindiya said...

this recipe looks sooo simple,yet so good!

Archy said...

Wow, long time never had this appa since i'm here, miss it a lot !!
These looks so nice crispy an yum !! My mom makes the same way, love it :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

my husband loves this one. I think its called Mulka in Mangalore

Pavithra Kodical said...

@ SMN and Keerthana

Yes i have tasted with banana also..That too taste great..
I found these in an Indian street (Devon) and being an Mangalorean
could not resist from buying :)

@ Asha

Asha akka you are making me drool now..Jackfruit dosa..
My granny used to make whenever i used to visit her in Udupi..
I will look for your recipe and will try and let you know :)

@ Sharmila

I did not know about ripe palm juice..Please share the recipe with us :)

@ Priya,Gita,Aparna,Rekha,Bindiya,Archy,Vibaas

Thank you all..Please do try..It tastes great :)

veggie belly said...

Never had this before, looks like a great snack. Ive always approached jackfruit with some trepidation. But if its flavored and deep fried like this, I think id enjoy it!

Finla said...

I have neve rhad this, it looks so yumm.