Chole (Chickpeas) 1 cup soaked overnight
Methi (Fenugreek) leaves 1 bunch cleaned
Hing a pinch
Oil 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala 1 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
Ginger 2 tsp
Garlic 3 cloves
Onion 1 chopped
Tomato 1 big chopped
Coconut shredded ½ cup
Cinnamon 1 stick
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Green chilies 4
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
1) Pressure cook chickpeas (While cooking add small piece of cinnamon and bay leaf to get a nice aroma).
2) Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, Coriander, cinnamon and cloves, when it splutters add ginger, garlic and sauté for 2 min. Then add onion and fry till translucent.
3) Add tomato and cook until soft. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
4) Add coconut, green chilies and turmeric to the tomato mixture and grind to smooth paste adding little water.
5) Heat remaining oil in the pan, add hing the grounded mixture and ½ cup of water and cook for 7 to 8 mins on medium low heat stirring in between.
6) Then add the chopped methi leaves, salt to the mixture and continue to cook for another 3 mins.
7) Add chickpeas and garam masala mix well and cook for another 5 mins.
8) Serve this with roti or rice.